South Bank, North Riding of Yorkshire
South Bank, a part of Normanby township, N.R. Yorkshire, with a station on a branch of the N.E.R., and a post, money order, and telegraph office (R.S.O.) There are extensive steel and iron works and brick and tile works. A church was erected in 1893-94, and serves as a chapel of ease to Christ Church, Heston. There are also Roman Catholic, Wesleyan, Free, and Primitive Methodist, Baptist, and Welsh Independent chapels, and a town-hall and market built in 1875.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for South Bank:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of South Bank are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: