Little Torrington, Devon
Torrington, Little, a parish, with two villages, in Devonshire, 2 miles S of Great Torrington station on the L. & S.W.R. It has a post office under Torrington; money order and telegraph office, Torrington. Acreage, 3140; population, 412. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. Cross House and Smytham are the chief residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; gross value, £390 with residence. The church has been enlarged and restored. At Taddyport village there is an ancient chapel attached to an old leper hospital foundation. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Torrington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Little Torrington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Torrington, Little)
Online maps of Little Torrington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.