Snape, North Riding of Yorkshire
Snape, a village and a township in Well parish, N.R. Yorkshire, 3 miles S of Bedale station on the Hawes branch of the N.E.R. The township contains the hamlet of Langwith, and has a post office under Bedale; money order and telegraph office, Bedale. Acreage, 47 91; population, 489. The manor belongs to the baronet family of Milbank. Snape Castle belonged anciently to the Fitz-Randolphs and the Nevilles; was rebuilt about the time of Henry VI. by the Latimers, and now is partly a chapel of ease and partly a ruin, with the exception of the front, which is divided into private residences. There is a Wesleyan chapel in the village.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Snape are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: