Snainton, North Riding of Yorkshire
Snainton, a village, a township, and a parochial chapelry in Brompton parish, N.R. Yorkshire, with a station on the N.E.R., 9 miles SW by W of Scarborough. There is a post and money order office under York; telegraph office, railway station. Acreage, 4836; population, 707. The chapelry is annexed to Brompton. The church was rebuilt in 1836, and stands on the site of one built in Saxon times, the only remains of which are an Early Norman arch and font. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel, and a new Wesleyan chapel was built in 1895.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Scarborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Snainton:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Snainton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Snainton)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Snainton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: