Skipton upon Swale or Skipton Bridge, North Riding of Yorkshire
Skipton-upon-Swale or Skipton Bridge, a township and an ecclesiastical parish in Topcliffe parish, N.R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the river Swale, 1½ mile W of Topcliffe railway station, and 4½ miles WSW of Thirsk, and has a post office, of the name of Skipton Bridge, under Thirsk; money order office, Baldersby; telegraph office, Melmerby. Acreage, 844; population, 124. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1843. Population, 242. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York; gross value, £129 with residence. The church was built in 1842, and consists of chancel, nave, and western tower. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Thirsk|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Skipton upon Swale or Skipton Bridge from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Skipton)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: