Little Hempston, Devon
Hempston, Little, a parish in Devonshire, near the river Dart, and 2 miles NNE of Totnes station on the G.W.R. It has a post office under Totnes; money order and telegraph office, Totnes. Acreage, 1265; population, 215. The manor "belongs to the Duke of Cleveland. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; gross value, £250 with residence. Patron, the Crown. The church is ancient; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower"; and has a fine carved oak screen. Zachary Bogan, a learned divine of the 17th century, "was a native. A village hall was erected in 1882.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Little Hempston St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||Totnes|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Little Hempston from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Hempston, Little (St. John the Baptist))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.