Skinningrove, North Riding of Yorkshire
Skinningrove, a township in Brotton parish, N.R. Yorkshire, on the coast, 7½ miles NE by E of Guisbrough, and 2 from Loftus station on the N.E.R. It has a post and money order office under Carlin How (R.S.O.); telegraph office, Loftus. The township comprises the hamlet of Carlin How. Acreage, 188 of land and 49 of foreshore; population, 1666. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels, a miners' institute, and a cottage hospital.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Guisborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Skinningrove from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Skinningrove)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Skinningrove are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: