Skelton, North Riding of Yorkshire
Skelton, a township and a parish in the N.R. Yorkshire. The township lies 2 miles SSE of Shipton station, and 4 NW by N of York, and has a post office under York; money order and telegraph office, Shipton. Acreage, 2473; population, 279; of the ecclesiastical parish, 219. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York; gross value, £192 with residence. The church is in the Early English style, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, and belfry.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Skelton All Saints|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Skelton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Skelton (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: