Sinnington, North Riding of Yorkshire
Sinnington, a village, a township, and a parish in the N.R. Yorkshire. The village stands 4 miles WNW of Pickering, and has a station on the N.E.R,, and a post and money order office under Pickering; telegraph office, Pickering. The township comprises 2174 acres; population, 323. The parish contains also Marton and Little Edstone townships. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York;, gross value, £96 with residence. The church is partly Early English, and consists of chancel, nave, and a turret. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and an endowed school founded in 1657, and also eight almshouses at Thornton Dale.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Pickering|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Sinnington:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Sinnington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Sinnington)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Sinnington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: