Seamer (Scarborough), North Riding of Yorkshire
Seamer, a village, a township, and a parish in N.R. Yorkshire. The village stands 3 miles from Scarborough, and has a station on the N.E.R., was the scene of an insurrection by Roman Catholics in 1548, and has a post office under York; money order office, West Ayton; telegraph office, Seamer Junction station. It has a cattle market on the first Monday of every month, and a cattle fair on 15 July. The township comprises 4691 acres; population, 681; of the ecclesiastical parish, 1753. There is a parish council consisting of five members. The parish contains also the townships of Irton, East Ayton, Cayton, Deepdale, Osgodby, and Killerby. The property almost entirely belongs to the Earl of Londesborough. Seamer mere was once a large lake abounding in fish, but at the formation of the railway to Pickering was reduced to a small pond. The living is a vicarage, united with Cayton and East Ayton, in the diocese of York; gross value, £390 with residence. Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church includes Norman portions, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, and western tower. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Seamer St. Martin|
|Poor Law union||Scarborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Seamer (Scarborough) from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Seamer (St. Martin))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: