UK Genealogy Archives logo

Scruton, North Riding of Yorkshire

Historical Description

Scruton, a village and a parish in the N.R. Yorkshire. The village lies 3½ miles NE of Bedale, with a station on the N.E.R. It has a post office under Bedale; money order office, Leeming Bar; telegraph office, Kirby Fleetham. The parish comprises 2115 acres; population, 383. There is a parish council of five members. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ripon; gross value, £440 with residence. The church is ancient, was restored in 1865, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, and embattled tower. There is a Wesleyan chapel.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyYorkshire 
Ecclesiastical parishScruton St. Radegund 
Poor Law unionBedale 
RidingNorth 
WapentakeHang-East 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Scruton:

BaptismsBannsMarriagesBurials
  1837-1930 

Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Scruton from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Scruton are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online:

DistrictHambleton
CountyNorth Yorkshire
RegionYorkshire and the Humber
CountryEngland
Postal districtDL7
Post TownNorthallerton