Scorton, North Riding of Yorkshire
Scorton, a village and a township in Bolton-upon-Swale parish, N.R. Yorkshire. The village lies 5 miles E of Richmond, is a seat of petty sessions, and has a station on the N.E.R., and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Darlington. The township comprises 2751 acres; population, 515. There is an endowed grammar school with £200 a year, founded in 1720 and reopened in 1883. There are a working-men's club and institute and a library.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Scorton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: