Scawton, North Riding of Yorkshire
Scawton, a parish in the N.R. Yorkshire, 6 miles N of Coxwold station on the N.E.R., and 5 W of Helmsley. Post town, Thirsk; money order and telegraph office, Helmsley. Acreage of parish, 2876; population, 119; of the ecclesiastical parish, 262. The manor belongs to the Bolckow family. The living is a rectory, with Cold Kirby annexed, in the diocese of York; net value, £100 with residence. The church was built in 1146 as a chapel of ease to Byland Abbey, and is in a dilapidated condition.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Scawton St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Helmsley|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Scawton:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Scawton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Scawton (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Scawton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: