UK Genealogy Archives logo

Sawdon, North Riding of Yorkshire

Historical Description

Sawdon, formerly a township, but under a Local Government Order amalgamated in 1886 with Brompton parish, in the N.R. Yorkshire, 6½ miles WSW of Scarborough. It has a station on the N.E.R. Post town, York; money order and telegraph office, Brompton. Sir G. Allanson Cayley, Bart., is lord of the manor.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyYorkshire 
Civil parishBrompton 
Poor Law unionScarborough 
RidingNorth 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Sawdon from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: