Sand Hutton (Bossall), North Riding of Yorkshire
Hutton, Sand, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in Bossall parish, N.R. Yorkshire. The township lies near the river Derwent, 2½ miles NE of Stockton, 7½ NE of York, and 2 from Holtby station on the N.E.R., and has a post and telegraph office under York; money order office, Sand Hutton. Acreage, 2242; population, 225. Sand Hutton Park belongs to the Walker family, who are lords of the manor and chief landowners. The ecclesiastical parish includes also the township of Claxton. Population, 441. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; gross value, £250.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||York|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Sand Hutton (Bossall) from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Hutton, Sand)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: