Salton, North Riding of Yorkshire
Salton, a village, a township, and a parish in N.R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the river Dove, 3½ miles N by E of Slingsby railway station, and 6¼ WSW of Picketing, and has a post office under York; money order office, Slingsby; telegraph office, Hovingham. Acreage, 1748; population, 132. The parish contains also the township of Brawby. The manor belongs to the Woodall family. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; gross value, £160 with residence. The church is ancient, and chiefly in the Norman style; but the tower, which replaced one destroyed by fire, is Early English. It was completely restored in 1881, and consists of chancel, nave, S porch, and an embattled western tower, and contains a parish chest, bound with ironwork of the 13th century. The manors of Salton and Brawby originally belonged to York Minster.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Salton:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Salton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: