Saltburn by the Sea, North Riding of Yorkshire
Saltburn, a growing watering-place and an ecclesiastical parish in the N.R. Yorkshire, on the coast, at the terminus of a branch of the N.E.R., 5½ miles NE of Guisbrough, and 19 from Whitby, with a head post office, designated Saltburn-by-Sea, and a railway station. The town is governed by an urban district council of nine members, and is supplied with water by the Cleveland Water Company. It possesses a fine sandy beach, which affords good and safe bathing, is picturesquely situated, and has a salubrious climate. A pier, which extends about a quarter of a mile into the sea, was constructed in 1867, and is a favourite promenade; it is reached from the cliffs by means of an inclined tramway formed in 1884. There are extensive pleasure-grounds lit by electric light, an assembly hall fitted with a stage for theatrical performances, some good hotels, two banks, a convalescent home founded in 1867 by Messrs Pease of Darlington and completed in 1872, brine and swimming baths erected in 1890-91, the Saltburn and Cleveland Institute, opened in 1888, and coastguard and police stations. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1873. Population, 2232. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York; net value, £345 with residence. Patron, the Marquis of Zetland. The church was begun in 1869 and completed in 1879. It is in the Decorated style, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, transepts, N porch, and a bell-turret; an organ chamber was added in 1881. There are also Congregational, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan chapels, a Friends' meeting-house, and a room for Plymouth Brethren.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: