Lew Trenchard, a parish in Devonshire, on the rivulet Lew, 2½ miles N of Coryton station on the G.W.R., and 8½ N by W of Tavistock. It contains the greater part of Lewdown village. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Lewdown. Acreage, 2238; population of the civil parish, 266; of the ecclesiastical, 281. Lew House, an old and interesting mansion, is the seat of the Gould family, The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; value, £246 with residence. The church is ancient but good; consists of nave, N aisle, and chancel, with a tower, and contains monuments of the Goulds.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Lewtrenchard St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Tavistock|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Lewtrenchard from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Lewtrenchard (St. Peter))
Online maps of Lewtrenchard are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cLewdown
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.