Rudby in Cleveland, North Riding of Yorkshire
Rudby-in-Cleveland, a village, a township, and a parish in the N.R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the river Leven, 1½ mile N of Potto railway station, and 3½ miles W by S of Stokesley. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Hutton Rudby, under Yarm. Acreage, 888; 'population, 62. The parish contains four other townships. The living is a vicarage, united with the chapelries of Middleton and East Rounton, in the diocese of York; gross value, £180 with residence. Patron, Viscount Falkland, who is also lord of the manor. The church, an ancient building in the Gothic style, consists of chancel, nave, and embattled tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Rudby-in-Cleveland All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Stokesley|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Rudby in Cleveland from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Rudby-in-Cleveland (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: