Roxby (Hinderwell), North Riding of Yorkshire
Roxby, a township and a chapelry in Hinderwell parish, N.R. Yorkshire, 2 miles from Staithes station on the N.E.R., and 10 WNW of Whitby. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Staithes (R.S.O.) Acreage, 3251; population, 168. The living is annexed to the rectory of Hinder-well. The church, a chapel of ease to Hinderwell, was rebuilt in 1817, and consists of chancel, nave, and small tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Whitby|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Roxby (Hinderwell) from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Roxby)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Roxby (Hinderwell) are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: