Romanby, North Riding of Yorkshire
Romanby, a village and a township in Northallerton parish, N.R. Yorkshire, on the Roman road from Stamford Bridge, and on the N.E.R., half a mile SW of Northallerton railway station. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Northallerton. Acreage, 2060; population, 421. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are lords of the manor. There is a church, erected in 1882 in the Gothic style, with chancel and nave. The living is annexed to the vicarage of Northallerton.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Northallerton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Romanby from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Romanby)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Romanby are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: