Reeth, North Riding of Yorkshire
Reeth, a small town and a township in Grinton parish, N.R. Yorkshire. The town stands on an eminence near the confluence of the rivers Swale and Arkle, 10 miles W of Richmond, and 6 from Redmire station on the N.E.R., carries on trade in connection with neighbouring lead mines, and serves as a tourists' station for exploring the mountain scenery of Upper Swaledale and Arkengarthdale. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Richmond, Congregational and Wesleyan chapels, a mechanics' institute, with reading-room and library, an endowed school, a police station, and a small workhouse. Four cattle fairs are held during the year. The township contains also the hamlets of Frem-ington and Healaugh. Acreage, 5699; population, 667. There is a parish council consisting of five members.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Richmond|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Reeth from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Reeth)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Reeth are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: