Redmire, North Riding of Yorkshire
Redmire, a township, with a small village, in Wensley parish, N.R. Yorkshire, on the river Ure, 4¼ miles W of Leyburn, with a station on the N.E.R. It has a post office under Leyburn (R.S.O.); money order office, Leybum; telegraph office, Aysgarth. Acreage, 2318; population, 243. The manor belongs to Lord Bolton. Coal and lead are both mined, and there is a strong sulphurous spring. The living is united with the vicarage of Bolton, in the diocese of Ripon. The church, which is a chapel of ease, has a Norman doorway. There is an endowed school with £20 a year.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Leybourn|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Redmire:
|Bolton cum Redmire||1677-1856||1754-1873||1685-1930||1684-1877|
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Redmire from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Redmire)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: