Langtree, a parish in Devonshire, 4 miles SW of Torrington station on the L. & S.W.R. It has a post office under Torrington; money order and telegraph office, Torrington. Acreage, 4741; population of the civil parish, 682; of the ecclesiastical, 672. The manor of Langtree belonged to the Earls of Gloucester, passed to the Spencers, and belongs now to the Rolle family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; net value, £270 with residence. The church is ancient, has an embattled tower, and contains memorial windows and a fine organ. There are two chapels for Bible Christians, and some charities.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Online maps of Langtree are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.