Raskelf, North Riding of Yorkshire
Raskelf, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in Easingwold parish, N.R. Yorkshire. The village stands half a mile W of the N.E.R., and 2½ miles WNW of Easingwold. It has a station on the railway and a post office under Easingwold; money order and telegraph office, Easingwold. The township comprises 4281 acres; population, 489. It has a parish council consisting of five members, and also sends two members to the Easingwold district council. The manor belongs to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. Bricks and tiles are made. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; net value, £250 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Chester. The church is in the Transition Norman and Decorated styles, with a curious wooden tower, and was rebuilt in 1879. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a reading-room and library.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Easingwould|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Raskelf:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Raskelf from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Raskelf)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Raskelf are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: