Rainton with Newby, North Riding of Yorkshire
Rainton-with-Newby, a village and a township in Topcliffe parish, in the N.R. Yorkshire, 3 miles from Melmerby station on the N.E.R., and 6 NNW of Boroughbridge. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Thirsk. Acreage, 1576; population, 355. The manor belongs to the Marquis of Ripon. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Rainton with Newby from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Rainton, with Newby)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: