Preston, North Riding of Yorkshire
Preston, a village and a township in Wensley parish, N.R. Yorkshire, 2 miles W of Leyburn station on the N.E.R. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Leyburn. Acreage, 2577; population, 298. Lord Bolton is lord of the manor and principal landowner. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a building used for church services.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Leyburn|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Preston:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Preston from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Preston-under-Scar)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Preston are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: