Landkey, a parish in Devonshire, near the river Taw, 2½ miles ESE of Barnstaple station on the G.W.R. It has a post office under Barnstaple; money order office, Barnstaple; telegraph office, Newport. Acreage, 3183; population, 647. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter; gross value, £240 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Exeter. The church is old but good, and contains some effigies. There are a Wesleyan chapel, built in 1862, and a Bible Christian chapel, built in 1865.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Landkey Holy Trinity|
|Poor Law union||Barnstaple|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1602.
Church of England
St. Paul (parish church)
The church of St. Paul is a building of stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle, north and south chapels, south porch and an embattled western tower containing a clock and 6 bells, all cast in 1788 from a previous peal of four: in the church are recumbent effigies in stone of the 13th and 14th centuries, discovered during the restoration of the church in 1870; one having been built up in the wall where it was placed, and the other two concealed beneath the pews; two of these are figures of ladies, in wimples and flowing dresses, one wearing a long mantle; the other effigy is that of a cross-legged knight; they are conjectured to represent members of the Beaupell family, which had possessions here: there is also a monument with life-sized figures to Sir Arthur Acland, ob. 1610, and Elynor, his wife, ob. 1645: in the south chapel is a stained window and a hagioscope: the east window and one in the nave, placed in 1905, are also stained: the font is octagonal and probably of the 15th century: in 1904 the church was renovated and the bells rehung at a cost of about £130: there are 204 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Landkey from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Landkey (Holy Trinity))
Online maps of Landkey are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cHanaford
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.