Pockley, North Riding of Yorkshire
Pockley, a township in Helmsley parish, N.R. Yorkshire, on a branch of the river Rye, 2 miles NE of Helmsley, and 2¾ from Helmsley station on the N.E.R. Post town and money order office, Nawton; telegraph office, Helmsley. Acreage, 3440; population, 209. The Earl of Feversham is lord of the manor. The church is a chapel of ease to the parish. church of Helmsley. It has been rebuilt, and a turret for four bells and a chancel added, with Early English windows and arch inserted into the formerly somewhat barn-like structure. In olden times there was a chantry and a manor house-the chantry serving the people when unable to get to Helmsley when the river Riccall was in flood. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Helmsley|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Pockley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Pockley)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Pockley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: