Ovington or Ovingham, North Riding of Yorkshire
Ovington or Ovingham, a small township in Forcett parish, N.R. Yorkshire, on the river Tees, at the boundary with Durham, 5 miles SE by E of Barnard Castle, and 2½ from Piercebridge station on the N.E.R. Post town, Darlington; money order and telegraph office, Barnard Castle. Acreage, 520, of which 10 are water; population, 132. A Gilbertine priory was founded here by Alan de Wilton in the time of King John, but has left no traces. There are remains of a small ancient camp.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: