Overton, North Riding of Yorkshire
Overton, a township and a parish in the N.R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the river Ouse, near the N.E.R., 2 miles S of Shipton railway station, and 4½ NW of York, and includes the site of a Roman station. Post town, York; money order and telegraph office, Shipton. Acreage, 1312 of land, and 20 of water; population of township, 49; of ecclesiastical parish, 551. The parish contains also the township of Shipton and part of the township of Skelton. The living is a vicarage, united with Shipton, in the diocese of York; joint gross value, £620 with residence. The church was rebuilt in 1855, and has a stained glass E window. There is a school at Shipton, founded in 1655 by Anne Middleton, with £40 a year from endowment.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Overton:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Overton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: