Oulston, North Riding of Yorkshire
Oulston, a township in Coxwold parish, in the N.R. Yorkshire, 4 miles ENE of Easingwold, and 2 from Coxwold station on the N.E.R. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Coxwold. Acreage, 1502 of land and 11 of water; population, 168. The manor belongs to the Wombwell family. There are a very deep draw-well on the green and a Wesleyan chapel. The Roman Catholic chapel, erected in 1795, has been converted into a cottage.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Easingwould|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Oulston from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Oulston)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Oulston are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: