Oswaldkirk, North Riding of Yorkshire
Oswaldkirk, a village, a township, and a parish in the N.R. Yorkshire. The village stands 1½ mile N of Gilling railway station, and 8½ miles S of Helmsley. It has a post and telegraph office under York; money order office, Ampleforth. The township includes the village, and extends into the country. Acreage, including the hamlet of West Newton Grange, 2166; population, 182. The manor belongs to the Henderson family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York; net value, £400 with residence. The church is ancient, has some Norman work, was completely restored in 1886, and consists of chancel, nave, and a western tower. K. Dodsworth, the antiquary, was a native.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Oswaldkirk St. Oswald|
|Poor Law union||Helmsley|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Oswaldkirk:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Oswaldkirk from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Oswaldkirk (St. Oswald))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Oswaldkirk are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: