Lamerton, a village and a parish in Devonshire. The village stands 3 miles NW by N of Tavistock station on the 'G.W.R., is a scattered place, and has a post office under Tavistock; money order and telegraph office, Tavistock. The parish contains also the hamlets of Chaddlehanger, Hill-town, and Ottery. Acreage, 5018; population, 771. The manor belonged to Tavistock Abbey, and now belongs to Earl Fortescue. Collacombe Barton was long the seat of the Tremayne family, has a Tudor character with a large transom window in one of the rooms, and is now a farmhouse. Vinn House, Hnrlditch Court, Great Haye, Willes-trew, Cample Haye, and Belgrove are chief residences. The part of the parish around Brent Tor, and on the border of Dartmoor, contains romantic scenery, and includes the Lydford waterfall. The northern part of the parish now forms, for ecclesiastical purposes, part of the parish of Bren-ton. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter; value, £240 with residence. The church was entirely burnt down in 1877, but has been rebuilt chiefly in the Perpendicular style. There are Wesleyan and Bible Christian chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Lamerton St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Tavistock|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Lamerton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Lamerton (St. Peter))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cChaddlehanger
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.