Osbaldwick, North Riding of Yorkshire
Osbaldwick, a township and a parish in the N.R. Yorkshire. The township lies 2¼ miles E of York railway station. Acreage, 730; population, 181. The parish contains also the township of Murton. Post town and money order and telegraph office, York. Population, 379. The manor belongs to the Richardson family. There is a private lunatic asylum. The living is a vicarage, with Murton annexed, in the diocese of York; gross value, £227. Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church is a very old building in the Norman style, consisting of a nave and western turret, and was restored in 1878. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Osbaldwick St. Thomas|
|Poor Law union||York|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Osbaldwick:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Osbaldwick from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Osbaldwick (St. Thomas))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: