Onnesby, North Riding of Yorkshire
Onnesby, a village and a parish partly in the county borough of Middlesborough, in N.R. Yorkshire. The village stands 4 miles SSE of Middlesborough; has a station on the N.E.R., and a post office under Middlesborough; money order and telegraph office, Normanby. Acreage of parish, 2883; population, 8757. The parish includes Cargo Fleet and Upsall. With North Ormesby it is governed by an urban district council of twelve members. Part of Ormesby estate was sold in the time of the Commonwealth for £3509, and repurchased in 1770 for £47,000. The manor belongs to the Pennyman family. Ormesby Hall is the chief residence. There are ironstone mines in the parish. The living of St Cuthbert is a vicarage in the diocese of York; net value, £245 with residence. Patron, the Archbishop of York. Population, 585. The church is ancient and was repaired in 1871, and consists of chancel, nave, and west turret. There is a lending library here. North Ormesby is an ecclesiastical parish formed in 1871 out of this parish. Population, 8348. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York; gross value, £316 with residence. Patron, the Archbishop. The church, built in 1869, is in the Early English style, and consists of chancel, nave, aisle, and pinnacled tower. In North Ormesby there are Wesleyan, Baptist, Primitive Methodist, and Roman Catholic chapels; a cemetery of 4 acres, a Roman Catholic cemetery of 2 acres, a cottage hospital, which has developed into a large institution, and was further enlarged in 1891 by the addition of the " Workmen's Building." Adjoining this hospital is an orphanage. There are also the working-men's club and reading-rooms. There is a post, money order, and telegraph office, at North Ormesby, under Middlesborough.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: