UK Genealogy Archives logo

Oldstead, North Riding of Yorkshire

Historical Description

Oldstead, a village and a township in Kilburn parish, N.R. Yorkshire, 8 miles N of Easingwold, and 2 from Cox-wold station on the N.E.R. Post town, Oswald Kirk; money order and telegraph office, Coxwold. Acreage, 1380; population, 93. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and an observatory built on an eminence in 1838, in commemoration of Her Majesty's coronation.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyYorkshire 
Civil parishKilburn 
RidingNorth 
WapentakeBirdforth 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Oldstead from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Oldstead are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online:

CountyNorth Yorkshire