Old Byland, North Riding of Yorkshire
Byland, Old, a village, a township, and a parish in the N.R. Yorkshire, on the river Rye, 4½ miles NW of Helmsley station on the N.E.R. Post town, Helmsley (R.S.O.) Acreage of township, 2737; population, 149. A Cistercian Abbey, an offshoot from Furness, was founded here in 1143 by Roger de Mowbray, but was removed four years afterwards to Byland Abbey, now Byland-with-Wass. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; value, £65. The church is old, having been built in 1100. There is also a Wesleyan chapel.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Old Byland:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Old Byland are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: