Nunthorpe, North Riding of Yorkshire
Nunthorpe, a village and a township-chapelry in Ayton parish, N.R. Yorkshire, on the Guisbrough branch of the Stockton and Darlington railway, 3½ miles NNE of Stokesley. There is a station with telegraph on the railway, and a post office (R.S.O.); money order office, Great Ayton. Acreage of township, 1427; population, 135. The manor, with Nunthorpe Hall, belongs to the Wilson family. Grey Towers is a chief residence. A Cistercian nunnery was removed hither from Hutton about 1160, and gave rise to the name Nunthorpe. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York; net value, £32. The church was rebuilt in 1824, and is a small building in the Gothic style.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Great Ayton|
|Poor Law union||Stokesley|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Nunthorpe from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Nunthorpe)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Nunthorpe are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: