Laira, the estuary of the river Plym, and an extra-parochial tract in Devonshire, contiguous to Egg Buckland parish, in the north-eastern vicinity of Plymouth. Laira Bridge here is a five-arched cast-iron erection of 1827, is 500 feet in length, was constructed at the expense of the Earl of Morley, after designs by Rendal, and was for a time the largest structure of its kind in England excepting that of Southwark.
Online maps of Laira are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.