UK Genealogy Archives logo

Norton le Clay, North Riding of Yorkshire

Historical Description

Norton-le-Clay, a village and a township in Cundall parish, N.R. Yorkshire, 3 miles N of Boroughbridge station on the N.E.R. Post town, York; money order office, Helyerby; telegraph office, Boroughbridge. Acreage of township, 1092; population, 91. The manor belongs to the Butler family, who, with the Crown, are the principal landowners. There is a chapel of ease which was restored in 1894 at a cost of upwards of £400, and also a small Wesleyan chapel.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyYorkshire 
Civil parishCundall 
RidingNorth 
WapentakeHallikeld 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Norton le Clay from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: