Norton Conyers, North Riding of Yorkshire
Norton Conyers, a township in Wath parish, N.R. Yorkshire, on the river Ouse, 1 mile from Melmerby station on the N.E.R., and 4 miles N by E of Ripon. Post town, Ripon; money order and telegraph office, Melmerby. Acreage, 1041, of which 30 are water; population, 104. Sir R. H. Graham, Bart., is lord of the manor and sole landowner. His seat dates from the Tudor period, and stands in a well-wooded and extensive park.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Norton Conyers from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Norton-Conyers)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Norton Conyers are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: