North Otterington, North Riding of Yorkshire
Otterington, North, a township and a parish in N.R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the river Wiske, 1 mile from Otterington station on the N.E.R., and 3 miles S of Northallerton. Acreage, 819; population, 85. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are lords of the manor. The parish contains also the townships of Thomton-le-Beans and Thornton-le-Moor, and its post town is Northallerton; money order and telegraph office, South Otterington. Population, 580. The living is a vicarage, with St Michael and Thornton-le-Beans annexed, in the diocese of York; net value, £171 with residence. Patron, Christ Church, Oxford. The parish church is in the village of Thornton-le-Moor, and was erected in 1868 on the site of an ancient chapel; the former parish church (St Michael's) is now a chapel of ease.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for North Otterington:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of North Otterington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: