North Holme, North Riding of Yorkshire
Holme, North, a township in Great Edstone parish, N.R. Yorkshire, on the river Rye, 5 miles WSW of Helmsley, and 3 from Kirby Moorside station on the N.E.R. Post town, York; money, order and telegraph office, Kirby Moor-side. Acreage, 546; population, 24; Holme-on-the-Wolds, a village and a township in Dalton Holme parish, E.R. Yorkshire, 4 miles W by S of Locking-ton station on the N.E.R., and 6f NW of Beverley. Post town and money order office, South Dalton (S.O.); telegraph office, Cherry Barton. Acreage, 1516; population, 158. The manor belongs to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners; the chief landowners are Lord Hotham and the Earl of Londes-borough. The living is consolidated with that of South Dalton, under the name of Dalton Holme, and is noticed in our article DALTON, SOUTH.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Spilsby|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for North Holme from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (North-Holme)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: