North and South Cowton, North Riding of Yorkshire
Cowton, North and South, are united ecclesiastical parishes, in Gilling parish, in the N.R. Yorkshire, 2½ miles SW of Cowton station on the N.E.R., and 7½ NW by W of Northallerton, and their post town is East Cowton, under Northallerton. Population, 419. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon; value, £131 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of Gilling. The church is good. A mission church was built at North Cowton (which is 1½ mile from South Cowton) in 1894.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: