Knowstone, a village and a parish in Devonshire. The village stands on an affluent of the river Mole, 3 miles from the boundary with Somerset, 8 E by S of South Molton, and 3½ from East Anstey station on the G.W.R. It has a post office under South Molton; money order and telegraph office, South Molton. The parish contains also the hamlets of East Knowstone and Roachill. Acreage, 5144; population of the civil parish, 422; of the ecclesiastical, 954. The manor belongs to the Throckmorton family. Wadham was once the seat of the Courtenays, and is now a farmhouse. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Molland, in the diocese of Exeter; value, £490 with residence. The church is ancient, consists of nave, N aisle, and chancel, with a tower, and contains monuments of the Cuime and Shapcott families. Sir J. Berry the mariner was a native.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Knowstone St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||South Molton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register of baptisms and burials dates from the year 1538; marriages, 1539.
Church of England
St. Peter (parish church)
The church of St. Peter is a small building of stone, chiefly in a simple form of the Late Decorated style, with Perpendicular insertions, and consists of chancel, nave of three bays, north aisle, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 6 bells: the east and west windows, one in the chancel and one in the nave, are stained, and another has been given by the parishioners to commemorate the 50 years' residence here of Prebendary Matthews, vicar 1853-1906: a new organ has also been presented: the church has been restored at a cost of about £400, and affords 200 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Knowstone from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Knowstone, East and West (St. Peter))
Online maps of Knowstone are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cEast Knowstone
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.