Normanby (Eston), North Riding of Yorkshire
Normanby, a village and a growing township in Eston parish, N.R. Yorkshire. The village stands 2 miles NE of Ormsby railway station, and 4 WNW of Guisborough, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Middlesborough. The township comprises South Bank, is partly in the county borough of Middlesborough.and extends to the coast. Acreage, 1462 of land and 329 of tidal water and foreshore; population, 9128. It is governed by an urban district council of twelve members. The large increase of population during the past thirty years is due to the opening of extensive ironstone works. There are also steel works and brick and tile works. Normanby Hall is a chief residence. There are a chapel of ease and Baptist, Free and Primitive Methodist, Wesleyan, Welsh Independent, and Roman Catholic chapels. The living is attached to the vicarage of Eston, in the diocese of York.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: