Newton upon Ouse, North Riding of Yorkshire
Newton-upon-Ouse, a village, a township, and a parish in the N.R. Yorkshire. The village stands on the river Ouse, 3 miles NNW of Shipton station on the N.E.R., and 9 NW of York, with a post and money order office under York; telegraph office, Shipton. The township comprises 1734 acres; population, 517. The parish contains also the townships of Linton-upon-Ouse and Beningborough. Acreage, 5148; population, 834. There is a parish council consisting of five members and a chairman. The manor belongs to the Dawnay family. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; gross value, £397 with residence. The church was rebuilt in 1849, and has an old tower with lofty spire. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Easingwold|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Newton upon Ouse from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Newton-Upon-Ouse)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: