Newton or Newton in Cleveland, North Riding of Yorkshire
Newton or Newton-in-Cleveland, a village, a township, and a parish in the N.R. Yorkshire, near the source of The river-Tees, 1¼ mile SSW of Pinchingthorpe station on the N.E.R., and 3 miles SW of Guisbrough. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Great Ayton (R.S.O.) Acreage, 1172; population, 99. Roseberry Topping is a pyramidal mountain 1488 feet high, contains a thick stratum of aluminous rock, and commands an extensive view. Blue whinstone, chiefly for road-metal, is quarried. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; gross value, £90. The church is an ancient building in the Norman style, and consists of chancel, nave, and turret.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: