UK Genealogy Archives logo

Newton le Willows, North Riding of Yorkshire

Historical Description

Newton-le-Willows, a village and a township in Patrick Brompton parish, in the N.R. Yorkshire, with a station called Jervaulx on the N.E.R., 3½ miles WNW of Bedale, and a post, money order, and telegraph office (R.S.O.) Acreage of township, 1858; population, 478. Lord Masham is lord of the manor. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyYorkshire 
Civil parishBrompton Patrick 
Poor Law unionLeyburn 
RidingNorth 
WapentakeHang-East 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Newton le Willows from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: